Author Topic: New Ascot. stripped down. what now?  (Read 10868 times)

Leaky Ascot

New Ascot. stripped down. what now?
« on: March 18, 2015, 08:43:24 pm »
Hey guys, new owner of an '83 Ascot. Rode it for ~100 miles before I discovered my valve cover gaskets leaking. Pulled a plug boot and found my sparkplug chillin in a pool of oil. No bueno. So now that I've got it taken apart and waiting for the gaskets to come in, what modifications do you guys recommend? I've read on here about the airbox and changing out the jets, but what else do you guys suggest? Thanks ! :D

WTF304

Re: New Ascot. stripped down. what now?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 09:08:24 pm »
There was never a gasket for the valve cover, they were machined to sit against the head with nothing between it. I'm more then sure i read that here on one of these posts, think J6 was the one who informed them. Might be in the book to but best solution is either resurfacing the parts or use Honda bond or yahma bond ....

I assume the heat eventually warps the metal and it looses shape over time/ heat and pressure.

WTF304

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 09:18:36 pm »
Forgot to mention this, be sure to check the valve lash inspection covers. the o-ring seals become hard and oil leaks by, and at speeds I'm more then sure it will make it's way to the plug. There's lots of knowledge here and plenty of idea's and mods to be found.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 10:47:33 pm »
The VT's are not as easy to modify as the FT's are. The VT engine is a fairly high performance engine to begin with. More power can be had if you want to raise compression by zero decking the cylinders. You will have to run premium fuel. If you change much of the air-box you will disrupt the whole jetting balance & the engine will be overcome with airflow causing it to lean out. Rumor has it that #125 main jets are a good upgrade. A true dual exhaust like the old MAC system, or by using the original head-pipes & adding a length of tubing per head-pipe to whatever muffler you decide upon. Usually Super-Trapps are used.

The guys that are riding the Euro version of the VT500 know the hop-up tricks.

Good luck
J.

WTF304

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 11:04:00 pm »
Are you working on a VT or an FT ? ..... all i read was 83 ascot and i know the single was around for 2 years right ?

WTF304

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 11:05:35 pm »
I went back and checked threads ... sorry lol that's twice in one night now ....

Leaky Ascot

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 12:30:21 pm »
I'm not doubting you, because I'm no mechanic, but what is this then? I would assume that's a valve cover gasket http://imgur.com/mtJYaWn

This is a vt500ft if I'm looking at it right. V twin shaft driven
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 01:03:23 pm by Leaky Ascot »