Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 11292 times)

PaulE

Hello!
« on: September 17, 2014, 09:01:18 am »
  Hello everyone, I came across the "Ascot Forum" last week and have found it very interesting and informative. A bit of my history, I bought my first FT500C in 1990, it came in large lumps in 6 separate boxes. My mate and I put her back together and I've been hook ever since! I now 4 complete bikes and various bits & pieces and now that I have retired I intend to have 1 standard bike and build 1 café racer & one flat tracker. I read the post regarding carb jetting and emailed Mark Apland to order a couple of jet sets  and was amazed that within 7 days I received them at a very reasonable price. I look forward to visiting the forum regularly to pick up ideas and see what other people are doing with their bikes. Regards PaulE

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:52:00 am »
Welcome Paul,

You mean to tell me that Mark is answering e-mails these days? That's great! I know for a while there, he didn't have enough time to check his e-mail regularly. You needed to call him.

I would consider a larger countershaft sprocket to enhance that jetting change. I weigh 200lbs & use a 16 tooth countershaft. Some folks are using a 17 tooth, but sometimes there is some slight clearancing required. The taller sprocket will allow the bike to move down the highway at a more relaxed engine speed.

Sounds like you have a great plan. One original bike & 2 customs. Please post up some pics of your bikes. We like pictures.

J.

Luke

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 04:10:00 pm »
3 bikes in one thread :) Lovin' it!
1984 VT500FT - WIP

Lefty

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 08:34:21 am »
7 days? Holy moly that's fast, it took him nearly 2 months to ship my stuff out.
Welcome to the forums & looking forward to reading about your bikes, Lefty.

Lefty

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 06:27:33 pm »
Any updates?

PaulE

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 05:54:04 pm »
Hello. Nothing interesting to report yet, my bikes are spread about the county at the moment (Mothers shed, ex wife's garage etc) but the concrete base is laid for my new workshop and I'm just waiting for the planning permission to be granted and then I can get it built and get all the bikes home and get on with my projects. I hope that it will up and usable by January. I have few photo's of 3 of the bikes the photo's are not that good but I will upload them soon. I will post details of any progress. Regards Paul

PaulE

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 04:50:33 am »
Hi, Hopefully I have managed to post 4 photo's, first one is of the bike I currently have on the road which I've owned for 11 years and will keep original, the second one is a bike I bought last year, it's very original and has been off the road since 1988, I think it's really good basis for a restoration to standard trim. The third one belongs to my better half Penny and will be rebuilt into Flat Tracker for her. Photo 4 shows my original FT that I purchased in large lumps back in 89-90 she was rebuilt and ridden by myself and various family and friends for about 12 years and sadly now has been returned to the state she arrived in. Her future is still undecided. I have one more FT that is complete and fairly original that I have no photo's of but will take some and post them when I have them, this bike I hope to build into a Café racer. I should have the new garage built by the end of January and work can begin. Regards Paul

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 08:24:06 am »
Very nice collection of Ascots & parts! 8)

It's always good to maintain a good clean stock Ascot. Or as stock as possible. Looks like you have enough back-up parts so you can maintain a stock bike for a while.

They are very simple to modify for better performance, if you can locate the correct donor parts. The first generation Honda CBR600 Hurricane is what you want if you can find it. I believe the years of Hurricane are 1987-1990, but I'm not 100% sure on that. The Hurricane forks are the correct diameter & spacing to slip into the original FT Ascot triple clamps. Plus the rear wheel & brake assembly slides right into the FT Ascot's swing-arm like it belongs there. All you need to do is fabricate a simple brake caliper stay. This gives you a lowered bike with quicker handling, better forks, dual disk brakes up front & 17" wheels on each end. Makes for a very fun Ascot! Plus it could be returned to stock if ever desired.

Alternatives to finding a CBR600 Hurricane donor makes the swap more difficult, but not much more, depending upon what you find for a front end.

Good luck & please tell us more about your "modified" bike plans.

J.