Author Topic: Looking to buy some different tires  (Read 9876 times)

Lefty

Looking to buy some different tires
« on: November 12, 2014, 03:50:43 pm »
I'm going to go with a more modern, sticky set of tires & I'm wondering what's the widest tire I can get away with on the rear of the FT & if anyone has gone any wider in front as well?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Looking to buy some different tires
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2014, 08:09:44 pm »
They don't really need any extra width once you try a modern performance tire on each end. I stayed with the stock equivelant sizes for the best handling.

I'm a broken record when it comes to tires... Avon RoadRiders! I have a few bikes & I'm standardizing on the Avon RoadRider tires. They are a modern design available in older bike sizes. I even have a pair on my MT250.

You won't be disappointed with the Avons.

J.

thumperdh

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2014, 10:27:32 pm »
My personal favorites are Continental Classic Attacks

They're a modern radial tire that feel like it was basically designed for our Ascots. I've got just around 1500-2000mi on mine and I couldn't be happier.

Dry grip is outstanding, one of the best street tires I've ever had the pleasure of riding on. They really transformed the FT's handling and braking.

I can't speak too much about the wet grip although I did have one night ride that ended in a torrential downpour and I never even thought twice about the tires. They just seemed to stick even with standing water on the roads.
1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 09:01:13 am »
If I wasn't as content as I am with the Avons, I would try those Continentals. They look like an excellent tire also.

J.

Lefty

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 03:30:54 am »
Thanks for the tip, I think I'll try the continentals.