Author Topic: how much fork oil to use?  (Read 12585 times)

wrenchwench

how much fork oil to use?
« on: February 09, 2015, 07:49:35 pm »
I cant not find the manual I thought I purchased from Tradebit. So I am hoping someone here would be so kind to tell me how much fork oil to use in each tube. Stock front end on a 82 FT500.

WTF304

Re: how much fork oil to use?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:30:41 pm »
Sure thing, i have my book infront of me. Wanting this winter to pass badly so i can get my FT on the road this year.

WTF304

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 10:37:36 pm »
Capacity is 330cc's or 11.64 oz's. It doesn't say if that's for each fork or total amount between the 2 though. Maybe J6 might have some more clarity on that for you.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 10:48:56 am »
I found this:

Pour in the specified amount of ATF.
SPECIFIED FLUID: ATF CAPACITY: 330 cc (11.64 ozs)

I'm thinking that is per fork leg.

Here is a link to the Yahoo FT500 Ascot Owners Group site where they have some or all of the service manual listed:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/honda-ascot/files/FT500%20Service%20Manual/
You may have to join the group to view the link & PDF's.

I think I would try to determine what weight ATF is equivalent to & then use a motorcycle specific fork oil in the same weight or slightly higher if you are a heavier rider. Of course there is a lot of adjustment with air pressure. Just be cautious & use a low volume pump to sneak up on your PSI.

Good luck & please let us know how it goes.
J.

wrenchwench

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 03:19:10 pm »
Thank you both for the info.  I have found the stocks forks are very soft and yet too hard with air added. Difficult to get perfect amount of air in there or stay in there. So I just put in aftermarket springs (Race Tech) with 11.5" spacers and plan on using 30wt oil, but may end up dumping that and using 20wt instead. Depends on the results. 330cc ea thanks again

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 05:06:20 pm »
I would recommend that you use ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) or a motorcycle fork oil in about 5-7 weight. I would not use crankcase oil of any kind. Thirty weight, 20 weight, sounds much too thick.

J.