Author Topic: 1984 Honda Ascot VT500 - rides, needs a little work - $600 (Seattle)  (Read 8727 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/4950506557.html

It starts, idles, and rides, but it needs a little work before it can be ridden regularly. I purchased this bike last summer, but a few days after it became mine, the engine wouldn't turn over. Got it checked at Dave's excellent Seattle Used Bike in Fremont and found that the starter motor had died. I didn't get the starter work done, but got new rear brake pads, had the throttle adjusted, and straightened the left foot peg. At home, I replaced the starter, but upon reassembly, I overtightened an exhaust bolt and broke the exhaust manifold. I tried to JB weld it, but it didn't hold. If you're handy with motorcycles this would probably be an easy fix with a new head off eBay (or weld it yourself), or for about the price of the bike you could get the work done at a shop. I also found that the muffler connector gaskets need to be replaced, as they've crumbled and the grease I used to reconnect the muffler assembly isn't rated for high temperatures. It also needs new rear blinkers, which I have. Also comes with original mirrors and a windshield.

For the time I did ride it, it was a fun first bike, very manageable but also quick when you wanted it. It has an upright seating position that's between a sport and a touring ride. Would be a good first bike for people who want to skip the smaller engines, or someone who wants something they can take around town and then throw through curves outside city limits.

Sean
360-421-2779