Author Topic: 82 Wont Idle, Gas smell coming from dipstick.  (Read 8760 times)

caceren

82 Wont Idle, Gas smell coming from dipstick.
« on: April 28, 2015, 05:23:42 pm »
So today i was riding my 82 Ascot and let off the gas to coast to a stop sign. This is when the bike abruptly died. Tried to start it again, it would crank but would not turn over unless i applied throttle. At the time i was about a quarter mile from my house so i held down the throttle and rode it home. when i let off the throttle in my drive way, it again died. I looked at the engine and it appeared to have fresh oil on the top of the head/around the intake. I checked my oil and it smells like gas. What is my problem and what else can i check to help narrow it down?

triguyracer

Re: 82 Wont Idle, Gas smell coming from dipstick.
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 06:03:08 pm »
sounds like the carb float is stuck open,this also would let gas over flow into the intake and down past the piston and rings into your bottom end contaminating your oil.   

WTF304

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 09:58:57 pm »
You could remove the boot from the back so you can see if that's happening. ... and if so probably have come pouring out of the boot. Not good when gas gets into the crank case..... ruins gaskets and seals most likely the clutch aswell. Tear it apart before it gets too late

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 09:19:53 pm »
Did enough gas go into the crankcase to raise the oil level on the dipstick?