Author Topic: Splitting Cases  (Read 10282 times)

upperb

Splitting Cases
« on: May 29, 2015, 10:52:59 pm »
Hi all.

I have an FT500 that I would like to convert to kick start using XL500 parts.  Can I split the cases without removing the top end?

Thank you all for any advice you may give me.

Joe

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Splitting Cases
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 08:22:28 am »
Joe, You need to pick up a Honda service manual. http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=449.0

I believe that the cylinder & head need to be removed to split the cases. A kick-starter conversion has been done before, but the right side foot peg is in the way of the kicker.

J.

Chronic

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 01:52:21 pm »
I rencently splitted the cases, as they are splitted horisontally, no need to touch the cylinderparts.

Accually, its quite simple, when you have the bottom end on your Workbench, youll se that you only need a kickarm and one sprocket. And a spring ect but what im trying to say is that it is a quite easy operation, i was Close to do that, i do have the parts needed, but my starter is i perfekt working condition :)

WTF304

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 02:17:07 pm »
You should only have to remove the clutch cover, i don't think you have to split the case's to add a kickshaft .... never had to with any other machine. I could be wrong ....

Chronic

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 05:48:33 am »
You do need to split the case, the axel+gear is placed center back. You can not get into the case without splitting it.

upperb

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 08:46:18 pm »
Thank you all very much for your advice. 
I have the xl500 manual and it states to remove the top end before splitting the cases.  I am happy to learn that this is not absolutely necessary.  Perhaps removing the top end and removing the top half of the crankcase is simply easier, since the transmission gears stay engaged with the shift forks.

Chronic

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 02:26:43 am »
You simply turn the Engine upside-down and remove the sidecovers, then you split the case. And yeah, it takes a bit patience to get the shiftforks back in Place, but its a whole lot easier than stripping the topend.

Bummer that a didnĀ“t took any Pictures, but i dig get help from Another member, who posted some manuals.