Author Topic: Help Need help fixing my baby  (Read 13981 times)

xavierelgrande

Help Need help fixing my baby
« on: July 16, 2015, 11:47:43 pm »
Hello y'all I have a 1982 Honda Ascot ft500 that i am trying to bring back from the death it have been sitting outside for the last year and i decided to buy it for 140. here its the thing my bike does not want to start it will make clicking noises but wont turn over it have a brand new battery and sparkplug and oil. sometimes it will start if i put a screw driver in between the 2 bolts in the starter solenoid. any idea what may be cause in it to no start by the start butting in the handle?????? PLEASE HELPP thank u....

PS... This its my first bike. So i have no knowledge at all.

triguyracer

Re: Help Need help fixing my baby
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 11:03:47 am »
Sounds like you have a bad connection at the handlebar switch,first I would try using a electric spray cleaner on the switch just make sure it is a electronic cleaner and not carb clean or another type of cleaner as other cleaners besides electric cleaner will damage the plastic parts,you can spray some into the switch without removing it ,spray it into the button on the switch .if that does not work you might have to take the switch apart and clean the contact by hand,from what you say this just sounds like a connection problem.Remember to unhook the ground wire on your battery before you work on and disassemble any electrical stuff so you do not short out anything ,make sure all the conections do not have any oxidation on them as this will cause there to be a lot of resistance in any connection

xavierelgrande

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 02:57:32 pm »
Alright Will Do thanks I let u guys know how it went.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 08:42:01 pm »
The FT starter system is very complicated, both mechanically and electrically. If the motor turns when you jump the starter solenoid posts (Honda calls it the starter relay switch), you can rule out the mechanical part for now. Electrically, there are 2 solenoids; the one near the battery and another on the starter housing on the left side of the bike. The clicking noise means the starter button itself is working. If you put your fingers on the starter solenoid, you should be able to feel the click when the button is pressed. If you can feel the click, the solenoid may be at fault, if not, we need to dig into the convoluted electrical system. 

xavierelgrande

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 01:49:11 am »
alright soo i change the start switch and bough the whole thing were the start buttons goes and it still do the same thing it just keep clicking. its coming from the center ofl body of the bike.

xavierelgrande

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 05:44:11 am »
I change the starter solenoid and the starter switch and it still do the same clicking in under the seat........... any other idea of what could be  i don't want to throw away such a beautiful bike.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 10:20:19 pm »
Put a finger on the starter relay, or solenoid (the one next to the battery) and see if you can feel it click when you push the button. The solenoid relay controls the small starter solenoid located on the starter housing, not the starter motor itself. If you can't feel the click in the starter relay next to the battery, the issue may be with the starter control unit, which is a black box next to the ignition black box under the gas tank.

xavierelgrande

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 10:15:31 pm »
Thnks i fix it and now it turn out to be it was the starter relay but now the starter motor does a grinding noise and its not cracking the engine.

xavierelgrande

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 05:23:08 am »
this is how it sounds could be a bad starter motor?????? the video its in the link.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbZXcgh27iw&feature=youtu.be