Author Topic: Help with rebuild  (Read 11329 times)

that_kid

Help with rebuild
« on: November 27, 2015, 12:17:59 pm »
Hello everyone,

I just bought my first Ascot as a project bike. Paid $100 and I, honestly, don't know much about it and I'm trying to get some help with how to start my rebuild? Would it be best to check it out and see if it starts up or just tear it down, clean it up, and then start testing it out.

Thanks

Edit:
Apologies for the delay and image quality, I just got back in town and thought I'd post these before I forgot. I know there is a decent amount of rust on several sections but it appears to be surface rust and not rot.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:11:17 pm by that_kid »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Help with rebuild
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 06:37:14 pm »
First thing you need to do is order a real Service Manual.

Then start reading it & searching this site (plus any others you might find) for the information you seek. There are several stickied posts on this site with information that you should review.

Good luck
J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 09:40:35 pm »
PS. Post some pictures of the bike if you can. That way we can see what you're working with.

J.

WTF304

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 06:57:50 pm »
Not worth rebuilding if it doesn't run .... plus how would you know what needs to be done without first hearing it run and maybe take it for a spin. I'd try to see if she runs first ... then if your not satisfied go for it, little words of wisdom " If it isn't broken, don't fix it " .

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 07:32:23 pm »
Is the exhaust pipe missing? How many miles are on the odometer?

That bike looks a bit rough. Might be a good candidate for a custom bike build. I would check the crankcase oil to see how dirty it is & if it is up to level. Take a smell of the oil on the dipstick & see if you can smell gas. If the oil is nasty, you should consider changing it & the filter. Check the air cleaner/air-box to see if there is anything loose that can be sucked into the carb. If there is, clean it out. Check the fuel tank for rust & dirty fuel. If the tank is nasty inside, you should rig up a temporary tank made from a lawnmower fuel tank or something like it. You will need a 12 volt battery to power up & start the bike. You are not supposed to use jumper cables off of an automotive battery, as that battery could be too strong. (I've done it before I knew better, but not with an Ascot) You might want to remove the spark-plug & shoot a squirt of some oil into the cylinder before you try to rotate the engine. Once everything checks out... See if it will power up & if the starter will rotate the engine. You might need a shot of fuel into the carb or a quick shot of starting fluid to get it to start. You should probably move the bike outside & have a fire extinguisher handy just in case. If the bike fires up & runs, don't run it for long before you shut it down, check the oil again, look for leaks, etc. At that point you will have to decide what direction to take.

Good luck & let us know what happens
J.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:40:39 pm by J6G1Z »

that_kid

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 07:55:34 am »
I have the exhaust pipe it just isn't currently attached, as for the odometer it has about 40k on it. Thanks for the direction. I'll probably have to wait until this weekend to get started on it but I'll update you guy's once I've checked it out.