Author Topic: Aftermarket Fork Brace/Stabilizer?  (Read 13403 times)

FBX_AK - VT500

Aftermarket Fork Brace/Stabilizer?
« on: April 28, 2016, 04:17:37 pm »
Hello all,

Been lurking the forum for a little bit, and finally decided to register. I've got an '84 VT500FT, lightly modified, and looking to do more to it. I'll post pics of it later to show it off.  :)

What I'm looking for today is to see if anyone has any advice for me on adding/procuring an additional Fork brace or stabilizer on the front end. Getting a little bit of that wobble at high speeds, and looking to nip that in the bud.

Any recommendations would be grand.
When in doubt, throttle out.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Aftermarket Fork Brace/Stabilizer?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 05:40:34 pm »
I'm not aware of any commercially available fork brace for either of the Ascot models.

Most likely have to custom fabricate one.

J.

Master

• Electronic + Science
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:35:44 pm »
Hello all,

Been lurking the forum for a little bit, and finally decided to register. I've got an '84 VT500FT, lightly modified, and looking to do more to it. I'll post pics of it later to show it off.  :)

What I'm looking for today is to see if anyone has any advice for me on adding/procuring an additional Fork brace or stabilizer on the front end. Getting a little bit of that wobble at high speeds, and looking to nip that in the bud.

Any recommendations would be grand.

Need to make that type of fork.

Honda VT500 1984 Ascot / Debian 8.6 / Mate

FBX_AK - VT500

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 10:37:37 pm »
J,

That is most unfortunate to hear. As long as the brace fits the diameter of the fork tubes, it should work though, correct? And am I correct in that the fork tubes are 37mm?

I'm pretty new to motorcycles, this only being my second summer owning one. Fairly unfamiliar with what can, and can't be done with them, especially a "Vintage" bike like the Ascot.

Master,

I'm unsure as to what you're trying to draw attention to in your picture.

Here's a pic of my bikes front end. I guess what I'm imagining is a brace/stabilizer between the triple tree and the lower fork brace.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 11:02:23 am »
The "fork braces" that I'm familiar with, are shaped like an inverted "U" & tie the lower fork legs together side by side. Much like the brace that is already in place above the front fender.

It sounds like you may be trying to change the compression & rebound action of the forks to firm them up a bit. That can be accomplished about three different ways.

#1. Change the fork oil.
#2. Add some air pressure
#3. Change the fork springs

The fork oil that is in your forks is probably the original fluid & is most likely worn out & nasty. You can use a lighter or heavier weight of fork oil to modify the dampening characteristics.

Your forks will accept a low volume of compressed air. Do not use an air compressor to add air as you risk blowing the fork seals. Use a hand pump. I used to run 10psi in each fork leg in my VT500FT Ascot.

Aftermarket fork springs will stiffen the ride.

This is all assuming that the fork seals are not blown out. If the seals are bad, you need to replace them first.

What is the condition & type of tires that are on the bike? New more modern design tires are probably the best investment for improving ride & handling.

J.

FBX_AK - VT500

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 08:43:58 pm »
Fantastic info there, J. Thanks a ton. Like I said, I'm a motorcycle newbie, so I wasn't sure if the brace that's already there was it, or if there's the possibility for aftermarket add ons. As far as changing the fork oil and the seals if they're worn out, I do have a Honda service manual from '85 for the '83-'86 VT500C and the '83-'84 VT500FT, which I should be able to figure out how to do it from.

The tires are IRC Durotour RS-310s with about 2k miles on em.