Author Topic: Honda FT500 Gets a New Life  (Read 28471 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Honda FT500 Gets a New Life
« on: August 16, 2013, 11:36:05 am »
After visiting the rareified air of the motorcycles displayed at the Quail Lodge, it's always good to return to the world of machines most everyone can modify and ride. A good example is this Honda FT500 Ascot. Nolan Arihood sent in some photos of his bike, an 83 FT500 which he worked over to fit his own particular needs. It's a nice makeover and gives you an idea of what anyone can do on a limited budget and some time.

The front end is from a CBR1000, the rear wheel is CBR600 and the tail section is XR750. He installed dirt bike bars and tweaked the seat to fit with the modified tank. He handmade those aluminum panels for the sides and front. The engine was treated to a pop up piston (12.5:1) and a White Brothers cam plus a flatslide Keihn carb and the gasses exit through a muffler that's his own creation. The extra compression made the original starter less than effective so he switched to a kick starter.

The end result is a really nice, clean rebuild that looks like a lot of fun and the tab for all of this was under $1500 due to a little horse trading, eBay and doing his own work. If you're long on time and short on cash, you can do this, too. Nice bike Nolan!

Original article can be found here: http://thekneeslider.com/honda-ft500-gets-a-new-life/

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Honda FT500 Gets a New Life
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 11:36:39 am »
 8)

Dougie

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2013, 04:28:26 am »
Lovely job, particularly like the way you did the side panel.

Integrates the whole look of the bike.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2013, 09:10:08 am »
Lovely job, particularly like the way you did the side panel.

Integrates the whole look of the bike.

I can't take any credit for the construction of that bike. I just found the article & posted it up. I believe it is the nicest FT500 that I've seen & you are right about the number plates, they make the whole bike look just right.

J.

DonDDR

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 06:27:45 pm »
Is Nolan a member on here?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 09:21:40 pm »
Is Nolan a member on here?

Unfortunately not to my knowledge.

J.

arihoodn

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 06:53:52 am »
Hello, Just noticed my bike was posted here.  Glad you all like it.   Let me know if you have any questions!

wrk2ride_ride2wrk

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 08:27:04 am »
Nice bike man, very tight .. kudos!

What are the jets & the carb size?

arihoodn

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 09:17:00 am »
Sorry, I cant remember the size of the carb or the jets.  It has been a while since I have had it apart. It is a flat slide keihin and I do remember that I changed the jets from the stock size to tune it, but of course I did not note it so I could remember in the future

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 06:05:56 pm »
Welcome to the forum. Your bike is one of the best looking FT's that I've seen!

How well does the kick-starter work & what did you do to clear the foot-peg?

Any other information or pictures that you could add would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
J.

arihoodn

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 07:34:49 am »
I can get some pictures posted later.  I used the kickstart gear and shaft out of an xr500.  I machined the stock case cover for the kick start.  The lever I think was from a 70s cb750.   I used the compression release cable,levers and valve cover from an xr500.  I did relocate the foot pegs back and up to give more room for it.   The footpeg has to be folded up to kick start it.  And yes it does suck kicking it over.  You roll it over just past TDC and then put your weight into it(dont kick it) and roll it over.   And then hope that it does not kick back!  Here are a few pictures I have on hand right now

arihoodn

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 07:35:48 am »
one more, sorry about the quality, I just cropped some pics I had