Author Topic: PARTS NEEDED  (Read 13333 times)

Tobiano

PARTS NEEDED
« on: July 07, 2016, 05:45:23 pm »
Hello, all....

We are helping a young man in our Assembly get his 1983 vt500 running. He pretty much got taken when he bought it...it is cobbled together, sat outside for years which has ruined a lot of plastic, etc.

He didn't have much money and has to care for his mom and grandmother while trying to go to school...so we are doing the labor for nothing in trying to restore this bike to safe condition.

If anyone knows where we can get parts reasonable, I would be most grateful.

For now, a rear fender cowl and a coolant overflow tank...both dry rotted to not being useable. I am sure more parts will reveal themselves as we go. Bike located in northern Illinois.

Please write me directly if you can help...
Paints1978@gmail.com

Thanks so much.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:19:33 pm by Tobiano »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: PARTS NEEDED
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 10:12:18 pm »
What color is the bike?

The coolant overflow tanks often leak due to dry rot. Same with the air filter assembly. Check the air filter box, plenum & carb boots very carefully for holes, cracks, or sealant that is missing.

This is what I ended up using for a coolant recovery tank: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=337.0

Unfortunately, I just threw that pill bottle in the trash a few days ago.

Good luck
J.

Tobiano

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 10:20:52 pm »
The bike is a red of some sort, but badly faded. I will look at the link you provided, thank you... :)

pault

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 11:00:22 am »
I have a red 83 VT500 in northern Illinois that needs some work, but I am willing to sell it.  Plastic is in good shape, turn signal stalks are broken, starter switch needs a return spring and front brake caliper is seized due to rust on the piston.

Paul

Tobiano

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 11:10:33 pm »
Paul... please write me directy?

Paints1978@gmail.com thanks.

The young man's mother just passed unexpectedly, so don't know when he will be ready to talk about normal life again, but we can visit in the interim...thanks