Author Topic: New owner, engine question.  (Read 10570 times)

Dusty200

New owner, engine question.
« on: August 31, 2016, 01:55:50 pm »
Hello out there. I just picked up my first ascot and I have a few questions for you engine guys. My bike had a knock in the motor that the PO was upfront about but he wasn't sure what was up. So when I got it home I took the head off and discovered a piece of metal sitting on top of the piston. I don't know where it came from because everything seems to be in tact. The valves didn't suffer but the head and piston both got a dinged up some. The piston is easy enough to source but the head I'm not so sure about.  Anyway I guess my questions are, would it be possible to clean it up and run it? If not is a using a XL500 head as easy as changing out the exhaust studs? Also what years of the XL head are interchangeable? I'll try to figure out how to post pics in a bit. Thanks for any and all input.

murdo

Re: New owner, engine question.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 03:36:22 am »
Welcome.
Hard to say about the head without seeing it, but so long as the shape of the combustion chamber can be maintained then it should be possible to smooth out any lumps/gouges and have it run ok. Could the bit have come from the carb or aircleaner?

Dusty200

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 08:23:55 pm »
Hey Murdo thanks for the suggestion and sorry for the delay. I got kinda busy but I did clean the head up and put it back together last friday and then went home to Texas (working in Iowa) for Labor Day weekend. I saw your post this morning so decided to take a look and sure enough there was a chunk missing from one of the butterflies. I'd planned on going through the carb and rejetting anyway so no biggie as long as I can find a replacement butterfly.

Dusty200

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 06:48:25 pm »
Hey guys I got the carb all back together and the motor back in. Hooked everything up and now I can't get anything but a click from the solenoid relay (relay mounted in center of frame right under seat). All wiring except head and tail is hooked up except one wire and I can't figure out where it went. There are three wires in a black sleeve together they are black, grey and green. The black and grey go to the flasher relay the green one is the one I'm unsure of. If anyone can tell me where it goes I'd sure appreciate it. I would like to get it running before I go any further with cosmetics. Thanks guys!

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 11:34:25 pm »
Take a look at the wiring diagram: http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=126.0

J.

Dusty200

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 10:44:01 am »
Thanks for the diagram sir! The wire in question doesn't go to anything on the diagram either. However I think I can rule it out as my problem with the starter.