Author Topic: Front wheel removal  (Read 15940 times)

Par7ival

Front wheel removal
« on: October 23, 2016, 04:43:11 pm »
I'm changing my tires and cant get the front axle out, I removed the pinch bolt and when trying to spin the axle out it works its way out of the left fork but will not come out of the right fork further than about half an inch. The axle is just spreading the forks apart.

Is there something I missed or can do?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Front wheel removal
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 05:29:07 pm »
The pinch bolt needs to be completely removed from the right fork leg.

I would try applying some penetrating oil around the axle & try to work it in. Make sure that the wheel isn't cocked & jamming the axle.

You might try to drift the axle out with some gentle persuasion with a punch & mallet.

I use a thin layer of grease or anti-seize on parts upon reassembly to help prevent parts from sticking to each other.

Good luck.
J.

Par7ival

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 06:30:59 pm »
Well I got it to start coming out and once it's about halfway unthreaded the bolt gets significantly more difficult to turn and then pings. It won't come out past this point.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 10:15:50 am »
Without being able to see what is happening, I don't know what else to suggest.

Try the penetrating oil on both ends of the axle. Make sure the wheel isn't crooked & causing the axle to bind. Keep trying.

Good luck.
J.

Par7ival

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 06:20:19 pm »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 11:20:48 pm »
Is the threaded end of the axle completely unthreaded from the fork leg?

If so, try to gently knock it out with a punch, steel rod & a light hammer or mallet.

J.

hellblom

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2018, 04:34:29 pm »
Hi,

were you able to get it out? I have the exact same problem right now.

Thanks.

murdo

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 05:22:37 pm »
I would guess that the axel is stuck into the spacer sleeve between the bearings. Will need to be tapped out with a hammer and punch/metal drift rod through the left leg.

hellblom

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2018, 02:05:02 pm »
I will remove the fork so I can work properly. It is stuck on the right leg and I think the groove in the axle which is made for the lock-bolt is the reason it is getting stuck.

Will let you know how it works out.

murdo

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 01:48:06 am »
With the fork out it should slip off the axel, then you can get it out of the sleeve.

hellblom

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2018, 10:47:57 am »
Yep, that worked. It was like I said, the groove for the lock-bolt was not smooth around the edge and got the axle stuck.

murdo

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2018, 04:40:43 pm »
Good work.

AwL

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 11:35:44 pm »
Had similar problem.  With pinch bolt removed it was still hung up in the right fork.
It seems that the axle was sticking due to galling or something on the surface of the axle in the right fork and wouldn't slide through.  Ended up losing some of the treads in the left axle.
The ones that were left didn't seem to be sufficient to torque down so screwed it in as tightly as i dared.
With pinch bolt secured there probably isn't any risk of axle pulling out but just in case i had a friend drill and tap the axle for a 1/4" bolt just to be safe.  see attached photo's.