Author Topic: 82 Ascot Street Scrambler  (Read 24929 times)

Dynachuck

82 Ascot Street Scrambler
« on: November 13, 2016, 09:52:14 pm »
I am finally able to finish up my wife's 82 Ascot, I installed the hurricane wheels and forks, Harley Tank (highly modified) aermacchi headlight and everything else has been chopped, ground, and modified except the motor,  ( I only had to helicoil the head, otherwise the motor was fine) all electrical has been stashed but it's still there. ( I put a Shorai battery under the seat and moved everything else around to hide it.)lowered it about 3" and  made a tail light out of an old microphone. The rear fender is an old Kawasaki fender that I sliced an inch out of the middle to narrow it down and welded it back together. I relocated the rear brake Res. and installed an aluminum Triumph Res instead of the ugly Honda plastic one.  I have started a stainless exhaust but it may be a while before I finish it. I just painted it today with a 3 color base/ Clear, It doesn't look much like an Ascot anymore.  The intent is to have a 70"s vibe but not be a clone of any bike in particular.  I have an old Reed Valve XR 500 and I may steal the Kick Starter and reed valve head and put then in this bike, it but that is for another day.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: 82 Ascot Street Scrambler
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2016, 01:01:06 am »
Looks good!

How's the ride?

Several folks have attempted the kick-starter swap only to find the foot-peg to be in the way.

J.

Dynachuck

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 08:27:01 am »
It rides real nice, I like the hagon shocks,  I made a lot of frame modifications so it would maintain some shock travel when lowered that far down (just have to watch the oil sump over speed bumps) I still have to dial in the carb (I was hoping to have the new exhaust done before I had to do the tuning) and a few other things.
Yeah the reason I have not yet installed the kick starter is the amount of work required reworking the foot peg. I started getting burned out re fabricating everything. Maybe next year.(maybe not). I'm really impressed how well the little Shorai battery cranks the bike but time will tell how it holds up.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2016, 06:36:45 pm »
The CBR600 Hurricane swap, Hagon shocks really makes the FT Ascot handle sweet! You do have to be careful about the oil sump & speed-bumps though.

I have experience with the Thumper-Stuff header & the original header pipes on a stock FT500 engine. The original header pipes have better low end torque & throttle response I think. Now add a performance camshaft and/or larger bore, then the Thumper-Stuff header would probably be better.

Please post some more pics when you have a chance.

J.

Dynachuck

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2016, 10:54:52 pm »
I agree that many people put too large of a pipe on bikes and loose Velocity.  But I feel that the stock ascot pipe is a really poor design for two reasons. first is that the inner pipe is really prone to coming loose inside (this one has) and defeating any performance by creating turbulence around the loose end of the inner pipe, second the collector is a funky design where on pipe is tacked on to the side of another and looks questionable for flow.  I think these are bigger issues than the pipe ID.  The pipe I'm building is 1-1/4" OD (1-1/8" ID) very close to the Mugen and supertrapp designs,  Stock XR is 1-1/8" OD so I'm only going up 1/8".  Small enough to maintain Velocity and large enough to keep the back pressure in spec if I do Cam it. I am also going to use a Y collector from Cone industries to get smoother flow. I have had a few XR's over the years so I have had the opportunity to experiment.  My favorite was a supertrapp pipe which is what I am going to try and replicate, the torque was crazy, almost impossible to let out the clutch on asphalt without bringing the front end up.
I'll try to post more pics but I am having trouble making the file size small enough to upload.

Dynachuck

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 11:06:08 pm »
I'll try again

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 01:06:19 pm »
I apologize about the pic size limits. Back when the board was originally formed, people still used cameras instead of phones.

I'm more of a gear-head than a computer guy.

J.

Dynachuck

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 02:44:44 pm »
No worries, Photo editors used to have file size options in edit mode. Guess I need better software.

Dynachuck

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 06:56:17 pm »
I think I figured it out

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2016, 08:10:16 pm »
Real clean!

Great attention to detail.

J.

PS. Think I figured out how to change the forum to accept larger pics.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:18:13 pm by J6G1Z »

Lefty

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2016, 05:52:05 am »
Impressive build! What seat is that?

Dynachuck

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 10:07:17 am »
Thanks for the nice words, like many things on the bike, in order to get what I wanted I had to make it. I made a fiberglass pan using the bike frame and fender as a mold. (Pretty easy to do, There are some good how to videos on U Tube.) then I glued on and shaped some rebond foam, and had a local auto upholstery shop make a cover.  Making your own seat is a little messy between the fiberglass work and shaping the foam but you get exactly what you want and it fits the bike like a glove. The bike is essentially done except I need to finish the exhaust.  I started fabricating a stainless exhaust with a supertrapp a while back but I need to get motivated to jump in and finish it.

Lefty

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 05:23:14 pm »
I have a SuperTrapp on mine, mated to the thumperstuff header. I cut the rear mount off the original muffler & welded it to the SuperTrapp, sounds really good with I think 7 or 8 discs. Looking foreward to seeing what you come up with for yours. Cheers, Lefty

Dynachuck

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 06:43:44 pm »
Thanks for the info, This is what I have so far.  My wife also is talking about wanting a black pipe now. Which would mean starting over. Supertrapp is IMHO the best sounding muffler. I even run one on my Harley.

ausFT

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 06:52:17 am »
This bike is gorgeous! Love the Harley tank.

Nice work  ;D ;D

Dynachuck

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 05:38:15 pm »
Thanks, yeah the old superglide tank had the vibe I wanted, but it sure was a lot of work to cut out the bottom and fab a new tunnel and mounts. Once it was done it was worth it.

Dynachuck

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 08:37:58 pm »
I finally got around to making the exhaust, it's a lot of work but coming out nice. I'm going to have it coated black even though it's stainless. I also changed my mind on the muffler (the supertrapp is now going on my SR.) my son turned me some torque cone flanges, hoping it will help with the low end.  I used 1-1/4" tubing into 1-3/4", (1-1/8" ID and 1-5/8" ID) but the torque cone is stock exhaust ID size.  We'll See how it works.
Cheers

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 11:35:43 pm »
That looks real nice!

Clean design & fabrication.

How's the sound?

J.

Dynachuck

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2018, 12:47:29 am »
I won't know how the sound is for a couple weeks. still have to fab a mid pipe bracket on the pipe this weekend and finish the welding. then 10 days for ceramic coating and re pack the can. I can't wait to hear it. Ill post an update.

Dynachuck

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2018, 03:56:24 pm »
I was curious before sending the exhaust out for ceramic coating so i put it together with temporary packing and buzzed the neighborhood.  the power band was far better than before. (stock head pipe and open steel mechanical baffles) and i am very happy with it.
As for the sound of the new pipes, it was amazing but too loud when you opened it up so I put in the DB killer (which i found out was a little bit of a horse power killer) but still awesome. without the insert it sounds like a lot like a Yoshimura on an XR.
The 7/8" torque cone and 1-1/4 OD pipe combination works exactly as I had hoped. I may play with opening up the quiet insert to compromize between volume and HP.
i uploaded a clip to you tube.

https://youtu.be/nGU01SGoh1U

ft500sd

• gotta love simplicity
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2021, 10:11:44 am »
Nice little sled here. Good job on this.