Author Topic: Starting one up after sitting for awhile  (Read 7992 times)

spdkilz02

Starting one up after sitting for awhile
« on: December 07, 2016, 01:41:51 pm »
Is there anything I need to do before trying to start up a '82 FT500? This bike has sat for the past 8 years without being started. I know it needs a new battery and some fresh gas, but anything other than that before trying to crank it over?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Starting one up after sitting for awhile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 02:24:52 pm »
Make sure you remove the oil dipstick & check the oil level with the dipstick just sitting in the hole instead of screwed down all the way. Smell the oil on the dipstick & try to determine if it smells funky or has a gas smell to it. If it looks dirty or smells wrong, you should probably change it.

I would remove the spark plug & squirt a bit of oil into the cylinder before rotating the engine. Rock the bike side to side & back & forth to help the oil spread around the piston rings.

Both models of the Ascot have a vacuum operated petcock. There is a diaphragm that prevents the fuel from flowing past the petcock until the engine rotates & creates enough vacuum to open the flow path. There is a way to modify the petcock to eliminate that feature, but you must be 100% responsible in ensuring that you manually close the valve whenever you shut the engine off. I have modified the petcocks on my bikes so I can fill the carb bowls without having to crank the engine excessively.
http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=256.msg1070#msg1070

There is a chance that the carb may be fouled from old gas sitting in the bowl. If so, you will most likely have to drop the bowl at the least & try to spray some parts cleaner through the jets with one of those red plastic straws that comes with a can of parts cleaner spray.

Try to locate some ethanol free premium gas if you are able. Ethanol is not the best thing for carbs & fuel systems.

You will need to fill the carb float bowl before it will start. The carb has a choke, plus an accelerator pump. Once the carb is primed, every time you twist the throttle the accelerator pump will shoot a squirt of fuel into the intake section of the carb. This will help with starting a cold bike. I pull the choke & usually twist the throttle about 3 to 5-6 times. Sometimes I can smell the fuel. Then I hit the starter.

You need to check everything over before you try to ride the bike. Start from the ground up. Tires, wheels, brakes, chain, sprockets, suspension, etc.

Make sure the battery is high quality & fully trickle charged. I like to buy USA manufactured sealed AGM types. They are expensive as compared to a cheap Chinese vented lead/acid battery, but they usually last 5+ years & don't puke corrosive fumes onto the bike. If you have a Batteries Plus store nearby, they have a good one. Might as well pick up a 3/4 amp Battery Tender trickle charger while you are there.

All these steps will help with starter longevity. Carb full of good clean fuel, choke & prime carb by twisting the throttle several times, strong high quality battery & the bike should fire right off within a few engine rotations. The FT Ascot does not like having the starter cranked any more than is necessary.

Good luck & let us know how it goes.
J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Starting one up after sitting for awhile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 04:00:44 pm »
You should probably examine the air filter & air box also, to make sure that there isn't any rodent or insect damage.

J.