Author Topic: Recently acured VT500FT  (Read 15422 times)

TheMud

Recently acured VT500FT
« on: February 19, 2017, 04:48:40 pm »
I've recently acquired an 84 VT500FT, so I figured this would be the place to be. I replaced two window regulators in a man's car, and he gave it to me as payment. It's bone stock except for the gas tank (VT500C I believe), and missing side panels and rear fairing.

I got it running pretty good, and it shifts through all gears, but I noticed the radiator fan never kicked on, and I've got a little leak in the rear valve cover gasket. It has quite a few minor issues, but for virtually free it was a steal.

My major issue is trying to find a gas tank. I've pretty much lost hope on finding a stock one, so I'm trying to find a good alternative that doesn't require much modding. Any help or advice in that area is welcome and appreciated.

I'll try to post pictures as I go, if there's interest, but it will be a slow burn. I'm doing all work under the shade tree with little funds, and it'll be a while before I get to anything cosmetic.

That being said, I'm open to any input, tips, and advice.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Recently acured VT500FT
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 09:22:32 pm »
1983-84 VT500FT Ascot fuel tanks are hard to find. Those are the only two years.

The VT500 Shadow tank will fit onto the frame, but it doesn't have the same profile as the original tank. It drops down lower in the back & interferes with the Ascot side covers.

Is the temperature gauge working?

Maybe the coolant wasn't hot enough for the fan to start.

J.

TheMud

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 11:54:40 pm »
Temp gauge is the only one that works. Ran it til it got hot enough that it should've cut on, and a little beyond. Gonna try and jump the fan motor tomorrow to see if it works. Beyond that, I can't honestly say I know what else to try. I've yet to get a shop manual, and I'm too strapped for cash at the moment to buy even that.

Also meant to post in stock/lightly modified, and I don't know how to delete or move a post. This is the first forum I've ever joined. Rookie mistake, I suppose.

murdo

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 02:25:48 am »
Welcome to the forum.
Don't worry, we all make mistakes. :)

Duke52

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 01:41:06 pm »
EBay is a good place for old parts, can be kind of pricey though for the hard to find stuff.

Duke52

Re: Recently acured VT500FT *Cooling Fan*
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2017, 02:27:25 pm »
As for your cooling fan problem -- pull the plug on the sensor at bottom of radiator, put a jumper between contacts in the plug and turn key on, fan should run. If not, look for blown fuse -- it's an inline fuse under the seat, 10A . As for checking the fan itself -- you'll find a pair of wires running from fan up to coolant sensor at the filler neck, 1 wire plugs into sensor the other plugs into wiring harness. Unplug these wires and run jumper wires from them directly to 12v battery, fan should run. Hope this helps.

Bucko

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 03:10:27 pm »
I found an factory service manual on line some where.  Sorry I can't remember where but some Googling should fix you up.

My Fan Rarely comes on.  It has to get really hot before it'll turn or it takes a really long time if I'm just letting it idle (like I did to get it out of it's winter sleep - just about an hour ago  :)).

There seemed to be a bunch of Ascot tanks on e eBay this past winter - can't vouch for the condition - but they do come up. 

TheMud

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 12:49:15 pm »
Been too tied up to post, but figured I'd update now I have a chance. Radiator fan was just seized up. A little wd-40 and a few taps with a screwdriver got it right. Amazingly, I found a stock gas tank for $130 about 3 days after I posted, and in damn fine condition. Adjusted the valves, cleaned carbs, swapped to gravity fed petcock, and fixed an air leak. Idles fine, except for some popping (not backfire.) Got a plug on the rear cylinder not firing, despite getting juice through the wire. Not sure if it would cause that, but haven't had time or cash to find out. My pregnant dog that's due any day now was hit by a car 3 weeks ago, so I'm dealing with massive vet bills, with more to come, and having to carry her to use the bathroom and clean her. Which is hard on the back. Ignore the sob story. Point is, I'm just now finding time here and there to tinker. Thanks for all of your input.

Bucko

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 04:23:22 pm »
> swapped to gravity fed petcock

What's a 'gravity fed petcock'?

TheMud

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 11:33:52 pm »
Doesn't require a vacuum to suck the fuel, as all liquids flow to the lowest point due to gravity. If the phrasing is confusing, I apologize. I don't know how else to put it.

Bucko

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 12:13:42 am »
Ahh..

The vacuum operates a fluid 'switch' on the petcock to allow gas to flow from the tank to the carbs, AKA: Automatic Fuel Valve.  I don't think the AFV typically causes problems and they're handy to have if you're like me and never remember to turn the gas off manually.   In any case, the valve only has three parts: a spring, a diaphragm, and a cover.  Its trivial to disassemble (4 screws) and inspect the parts and the spring and the diaphragm are both replaceable if there is any damage.  If your parts are not damaged but the fuel isn't flowing when vacuum is applied, the problem has to be with the vacuum hose or the vacuum nipple on the cinder head.

joyride20

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 03:05:55 pm »
Doesn't require a vacuum to suck the fuel, as all liquids flow to the lowest point due to gravity. If the phrasing is confusing, I apologize. I don't know how else to put it.

Hi could you post up a part number for the petcock you used? My stock one has seen better days and i am tired of messing with it. I wouldn't mind switching to aftermarket.

Much appreciated!

TheMud

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 12:45:38 pm »
http://m.ebay.com/itm/172150831421?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275&_mwBanner=1

Here's a link to the one I got. Didn't see a part number. You'll have to get a smaller diameter fuel line, and step the size up to fit the carb, but it  still supplies plenty of fuel. Don't forget to plug the nipple on the rear cylinder.

joyride20

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2017, 09:40:03 am »
The Mud,

Okay thank you for sharing. Much appreciated.