Author Topic: Triple tree dimensions  (Read 10336 times)

bobforcha

Triple tree dimensions
« on: March 14, 2017, 12:26:19 pm »
Anyone know of a resource for finding out the dimensions on the triple tree?  I know the fork diameter is 37 mm, but not the spacing between them or the distance back to the bearings.  I want to custom machine a new one, and was hoping for some official numbers.  If not, I'll measure them up with some calipers and make a drawing to upload, if anyone would be interested.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:32:16 pm by bobforcha »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Triple tree dimensions
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 01:54:26 pm »
I have not seen that type of information posted before.

Here are a few links that might be slightly helpful:

http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=151.0

http://ascot500.com/index.php?topic=325.0

Good luck
J.

bobforcha

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 04:47:05 pm »
Yeah, I figured that would be strictly proprietary info from Honda.  I'll get to measuring tomorrow.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:06:14 pm »
Bob,

I have to ask...  Wouldn't this be a good time to consider a better front-end all together?

I have no clue what might work on a VT.

Thanks
J.

PS. Always thought this one was real nice!

bobforcha

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:27:00 pm »
I actually like the way the front forks feel, and I don't really want to change it up that much.  The only reason I would upgrade the front end would be to get double discs up front, but I'm trying to avoid spending that money if possible.  I have access to CAD and CAM software, as well as a machine shop, and plenty of aluminum stock; so building a new one costs me no money, just a day or 2 of work.  I also want to mount a custom ignition, as well as the cluster I made (it sits a bit proud for my liking at the moment), directly to it; so I would end up making a new top clamp even if I swapped the front end out.  I would like to go for that hurricane front end swap later on down the  road, and this tree would fit that front end as well, so win-win, I think.  If not, I learned how to make something cool!

Also, is that the front end from a Rebel 250 in the pic?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 06:32:17 pm »
I don't know what front-end that is. I found that picture on the I'net many years ago, but never located any details on the bike.

I figured it was probably some type of modern CBR sport-bike front-end with a HD Sportster headlight.

The rear mono-shock looks cool too.

J.

bobforcha

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 06:39:42 pm »
The rear mono-shock looks very cool indeed!