Author Topic: New member from South Australia  (Read 14172 times)

Colj500

New member from South Australia
« on: April 20, 2017, 10:39:35 pm »
Hi all I have just joined the forum and though that I should introduce myself.

I recently bought a 1982 FT500, however, I must admit that I am a 500 Yamaha fanatic and have 12 XT/TT/SR500s in my collection, but I also have 19 1960's and 1970's Hondas so I am not all bad. Even though I have owned and ridden 500 Yamahas since the late 1970's, I worked as a mechanic for a Honda dealership through the mid 1980's and had the opportunity to ride a few FT500s back then and found them a nice bike to ride and I also liked the Flat Track style. Over the last 25 odd years I have kept a bit of an eye out for a FT500, but they are not that common here in Australia. It was purely by chance that I typed FT500 into Gumtree and found this one up for sale fairly close to home, just 400km away. So a deal was done and now I finally  have one. The bike is a bit rough, but not to bad considering is age. From the registration label it was last registered in 2007 so it looks like it has been off the road for a while. My plan is to sort out some of the issues with it and get it back on the road over the next few weeks (probably months in real life). Once I have had a chance to ride it a bit and find out if there are any bigger issue, I will pull it down for a bit of refresh / minor restoration replacing the damaged, missing and incorrect parts to bring it up to a reasonable but not concourse standard.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: New member from South Australia
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 10:56:01 pm »
Welcome.

Sounds like you have quite the collection!

J.

murdo

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 04:28:35 am »
Welcome from NSW.
Bike looks good. I see it already has Yamaha blinkers.   ;D

Colj500

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 07:59:49 pm »
Welcome from NSW.
Bike looks good. I see it already has Yamaha blinkers.   ;D

Thanks for the welcome.

Looking at the blinkers, I thought that they were later model Honda parts, or maybe Suzuki. I have some late 1970's XL250/500 blinkers in a box somewhere in the shed amongst all my Honda spares and will look at fitting them at some point, although I will probably need to find the correct FT500 blinker stems as I thing the mounts are different.