Author Topic: Anybody running actual dirt track tires ?  (Read 13561 times)

greenjeans

Anybody running actual dirt track tires ?
« on: May 31, 2017, 04:32:14 pm »
Is anyone running an actual dirt track tire ?   I know shinko makes a DOT legal tire now in a 130x19 which would be a bit too wide for the front rim (3.5" x 19")   Can't find any for 18" rear.
Having trouble finding tires with that tread.  Seen a few photos with DT tires mounted on the stock rims, so I know they are out there somewhere.
Anybody know where to find them ?     Looks like these -

triguyracer

Re: Anybody running actual dirt track tires ?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 08:55:30 pm »
Dunlop K180 if you can find them , maybe on ebay? they stopped selling here in the the states as far as I know but you might find a set on ebay they come in 110 -19 and 120/18,how long will a set last on the street I cant say but the set on one of my vintage triumph 500 dirttrackers has held up quite a long time and seem to be a medium hard compound, they where pricey too when I bought them and that has been awhile ago so they most likely will not be cheap hope that helps some

greenjeans

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 09:12:33 am »
Got my hopes up.  They (Dunlop/Goodyear) made those and they would be perfect.  Can't find any in the states or ebay yet.  Maybe I do get to go with spoked wheels...
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 10:15:41 am by greenjeans »

triguyracer

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 02:19:38 pm »
I have heard you can still get them in Japan and Europe so you might try there ebay,also you might go to vft.org ,it is a web sight for vintage flattrack stuff and newer things too, and place a wanted ad some one will have some I buy from people on it and also have sold on it 

triguyracer

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 02:38:02 pm »
Here is the ph# for Dunlop race tire questions and avalibilty this is the one for the western states if I remember right .they also have a web sight,you have to buy race tires direct from them or there truck at the track,they will tell you if you will be able to get them, the k180 is dot street legal,here is the ph # 615 641 3323 haven't called or bought tires in awhile so you will have to give them a ring to see if this ph# is still good

greenjeans

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 05:45:00 pm »
thanks - left a message at Dunlop.  I'll see what they say.