Author Topic: I just bought a VT500 Ascot  (Read 12822 times)

IndyRick

I just bought a VT500 Ascot
« on: July 20, 2017, 09:59:09 pm »
There were a few Ascots on the Indianapolis area Cragislist recently. A really nice black FT500 that was going for $2850. A red FT500 for $1200 that looked really good. Another red FT500 for $800 that was really rough. And a red VT500FT for $1075 that looked really good given the price. I called about the $1200 FT500 and the owner had already arranged for somebody to come look at it. So I called the owner of the VT500FT - long story short. I rode it home.

I owned an '82 FT500 when they first came out. It was my first street bike after a long run of enduros and motocross bikes. Owned it for a year, put a little over 14,000 miles on it and sold it to buy a 1983 Honda VF750F Interceptor. Needless to say, that was quite a change of pace.

Anyway - I don't recall if I'd ever seen the V twin Ascot. Now that I've had a chance to put some miles on it, I have to admit that it's a much better road bike than the thumper. The FT really had to work hard to maintain highway speed. The VT handles it without breaking a sweat.

I didn't bother to try to talk the guy down on the price, it seemed like a fair deal to me. It goes without saying that a grand don't buy perfection. My first impulse it to restore it since it doesn't need much, but I'm sure tempted to go a little custom. I'll probably just do some bolt-on mods and throw the stock parts in a box for the next owner.

The exhaust system is a bit cut up - the muffler and pre-chamber are missing. The right side control cluster is missing. The previous owner jury rigged a big ugly starter button and bypassed the kill switch. The thermostatic switch for the cooling fan is bad so there's a toggle switch for that. And the rear tire is really bald. Aside from that, it's really in pretty good shape.

I won the bid for a complete exhaust system on eBay. That should be here Monday. Picked a few miscellaneous used parts from a local used parts dealer.  Should have it up to snuff in a week.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 11:08:42 pm by IndyRick »

9 of 9

Re: I just bought a VT500 Ascot
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 09:46:23 pm »
A month ago I also picked up a cherry VT500FT for an even $1000. from the original owner's son-in-law with 3300 miles on it. If I had not caught it within a half hour of it being posted on Craigslist I would have missed it.  Yours is definitely going to be a deal you will not regret. I have a VF500F Miniceptor and a CX500C . The 500 cc class is a lot of fun.

IndyRick

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 03:30:29 pm »
That sounds like what happened when I bought my 1984 Honda CB700S Nighthawk. I happened to see it within minutes of it being posted on Craigslist. Even then I wasn't the first to call, but I was the first to show up at the seller's door.

9 of 9

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 11:34:51 am »
I have one of those also, had to rehone the cylinders, put in new rings, has hydraulic lifters, interesting, now if only I can get the headlight to work again, otherwise another excellent Honda.

Wingwinder

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 11:59:47 am »
Indy Rick, Congrats on the exaust system. I bid on it to. Ended up buying a MAC 2 into 2 for mine.  This is my second Vt500ft. Mostly stock except for pipes and jetting. Good luck with yours.

Bucko

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:24:42 pm »
I have one of those also, had to rehone the cylinders, put in new rings, has hydraulic lifters, interesting, now if only I can get the headlight to work again, otherwise another excellent Honda.

The VT500FT motor (or any VT500 motor for that matter) does not have hydraulic lifters.  Just say'in.