Author Topic: Starter not engaging  (Read 8589 times)

Ampari

Starter not engaging
« on: July 02, 2017, 07:59:49 am »
Starter's not engaging when pushing the start button, I've changed the battery, starter solenoid twice, cleaned all connections and the secondary solenoid from the flywheel side of the engine, also had the starter itself disassembled and inspected to check the brushes and contact surfaces. Relay and solenoid both click when you press the start button but it doesn't crank. Shorting the solenoid makes it crank, so it would indicate the solenoid is bad but it has been replaced twice already. Running out of ideas.

Edit: fixed, solenoid was toast.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 02:57:44 am by Ampari »

murdo

Re: Starter not engaging
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 07:00:08 pm »
Check all the earths, both battery and engine to frame.

Ampari

Re: Starter not engaging
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 04:20:44 pm »
Bypassed the starter solenoid with a main power switch, it's a hassle to start with both hands since you need to press the start button to engage the other solenoid that engages the gears and stuff on the flywheel side of the engine, otherwise it only cranks over once. Tried to start the bike last fall with jumper cables from a running car since the old battery was totally dead, I guess it's a possibility that it fried the solenoid? Ordered another one from China since local shop wants 20€ for the same stuff you get for a fiver from EBay. It had a generic one already when I bought it, someone had done some questionable wiring work to it but at least it worked so I redid most of the bodged wiring. Apparently the bike is supposed to have a clutch switch that prevents you from starting the bike without depressing the clutch but it was bypassed with an external ground wire. Bearing in mind that the bike worked flawlessly after these wiring fixes until the battery went flat and the jumpstarting occurred, I firmly believe the issue is the solenoid. We'll see when the new one arrives.

So it's kind of fixed but still not really. But the most important thing is that the bike is alive again :D