Author Topic: New needle for carburetor?  (Read 11262 times)

Nal0x0ne

New needle for carburetor?
« on: August 24, 2017, 05:14:00 pm »
just rebuilt my engine and now the bike doesn't want to start. The engine was moving, the spark plugs were firing, and fuel was leaking out onto the ground from the carburetor. So i removed the carburetor and took the whole thing apart, and the only thing that I can see is wrong with it is that one of the needles is a little short. When you look at the tip its obvious that it has broken off.
I cannot for the life of me find a replacement.
I have not done any carb work before so I'm not sure if I am just overlooking something. I have managed to find out that it uses Keinhin 1NH and 1NE needles, but all I can find is a sketchy used pair on ebay.
Is there away to get the measurements and find an equivalent?
Any ideas are welcome.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: New needle for carburetor?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 11:39:21 pm »

Nal0x0ne

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 09:18:06 am »
I ended up buying a Dynojet kit that was just stage 1. (so it should be OEM specs) that one specifically said it came with new needles which is what i really need.
after looking at it for a bit I think one of the previous owners already installed one of these kits. which makes me wonder how the needle broke in the first place?
The inside of the carb is spotless, I can see through all the jets i have pulled.

Is there some why the jets could be misaligned that would cause the needle to break? I would hate to put it back together only to have it break again.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 09:30:58 am »
I ended up buying a Dynojet kit that was just stage 1. (so it should be OEM specs) that one specifically said it came with new needles which is what i really need.
after looking at it for a bit I think one of the previous owners already installed one of these kits. which makes me wonder how the needle broke in the first place?
The inside of the carb is spotless, I can see through all the jets i have pulled.

Is there some why the jets could be misaligned that would cause the needle to break? I would hate to put it back together only to have it break again.

I used a Dynojet kit on one of my VT Ascots. I no longer recall what the kit consisted of. I had to contact the company a few times for larger jets than the ones in the kit. To be fair, my bike had a custom dual exhaust & air-box modifications. I've heard that the kits sold on eBay are more extensive & custom tailored to each application, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

I can't think of any way that a needle could break during normal carb functioning.

Be careful/gentle upon disassembly & reassembly. The front & rear carbs have a few slight differences, so keep the parts separated. Been a long time & I can't recall the details any longer. Typically the rear cylinder main jet is larger than the front.

Good luck
J.

PS. The Dynojet kit has needles & jets that are specific to each other. You cannot mix the Dynojet needles with other manufacturers jets & vice versa.