Author Topic: For Sale - 1984 Honda Ascot VT500 - Needs a little work - Near Fort Wayne, IN  (Read 18635 times)

Luke515

I need to sadly sell my Honda Ascot, it's fallen into disrepair and could use a better home.
It's missing a baffle from the muffler, 1 1/2 front turn singles, Left Side Panel.
It might need a new gasket since it ran with out the baffle for some time.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B68tpSbv3i6GU3JRcEprRnBrZk0?usp=sharing

$900 OBO

tcnealon

Still for sale?

Luke515

Yes it is.

John Ollestad

I know it needs work. Have a clear title? Does the engine run? Gas tank rusty or clean enough to use?
Oh, what gasket were you referring to?

John
Columbus, IN

Luke515

Yeah title is all clear.
It's been a while since I've ran it but it should run with fresh gas and a new battery.
The only rust is small spots on the forks and muffler which you can see in the photos.
I'm not very motor wise so it might not need one it might just need the compression of the baffle to fix it's self. But it's on the top plate of the cylinder, I feel like it's an easy fix for anyone who is more mechanically inclined.

Luke

John Ollestad

Thanks Luke. I appreciate the information. Perhaps a head gasket problem? Was the engine leaking oil or coolant? Or the exhaust pipe not warming up properly?
Thanks again.

Luke515

It's not leaking any oil or coolant. It might have a micro leak of gas around the gas cutoff, just enough to make it look a bit wet and dirty.
Not sure what you mean by exhaust not warming up properly?

John Ollestad

That's just how I tell if all cylinders are firing. I fire the bike up, let it idle and then see if both exhaust pipes start to get hot. I've caught a few plugged jets that way.

In your post you said maybe it needs a baffle to fix itself. Fix what?  Is this a bad exhaust gasket causing problems? What is the engine doing thats abnormal?

Luke515

Honestly I'm not really sure, like I said I really don't know much about engines other then the basics. My father told me that without the baffle in the muffler it could cause problems due to a lack of compression. Sometimes when i would ride it hard on the highway it would stall when i would come to a stop.
You can hear both cylinders firing since one is muffled and the other is not.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Hey guys, Please take it to PM & exchange phone numbers.

Thanks
J.

John Ollestad

Seriously? Were we tying up too much bandwidth? Sorry, I thought we were in the proper area to post questions and get answers about something for sale. It won't happen again.

Luke515

Yeah kind of odd, maybe other people are interested and would like to see the answers before messaging...
So are you still interested John?

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Actually the primary intent of this forum is for the exchange of technical information. Not to document the terms & conditions of a sale.

Classified ads are welcome. Make contact & negotiate on your own time. If you want to be snippy about it, your post will disappear.

J.