Author Topic: A new Ascoteer  (Read 20248 times)

Wes Kootenay

A new Ascoteer
« on: October 19, 2017, 09:44:34 pm »
Sold my '04 Yamaha FJR1300 a couple of years ago and bought a tractor. I never stopped looking through the used bike ads, though I had no idea what I was looking for. Then, last week, a Honda Ascot VT appeared locally. The seller knew nothing about the bike, he bought it in a lot sale to get the 750-4 he wanted. It runs fine but needs a ton of TLC, hopefully, I'll have it on the road next year. No idea who painted it blue, or why, but I can live with it. The ugly thing on the rear fender has gone to recycle.

Al

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: A new Ascoteer
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 10:34:08 pm »
The VT Ascots are great bikes!

You'll enjoy that one.

Good luck
J.

Wes Kootenay

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 10:07:51 am »
Thanks J6

This will be a fun project. The seller had a mechanic friend get it running so he could sell it, new battery, plugs and carbs cleaned.
There is a Progressive decal on one fork, hopefully the springs have been upgraded? A fork re-build is in the plan.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2017, 11:22:33 am »
The VT Ascots are fairly bullet proof, almost zero maintenance bikes. Change the fluids, filters, keep the battery charged & maintain the tires, that's about it.

The carbs will suffer during long time storage if you don't drain them though. I close the fuel petcock on the way home & run the carbs out of fuel before storage.

J.

Bucko

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 04:31:00 pm »
Looks like it's in pretty respectable shape.  Gauges are not original - hard to tell from the photos but probably from a late70's/ early 80's Honda CB750F or CB900F.

murdo

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 04:46:13 pm »
Very tidy.

Wes Kootenay

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 08:48:21 pm »
Looks like it's in pretty respectable shape.  Gauges are not original - hard to tell from the photos but probably from a late70's/ early 80's Honda CB750F or CB900F.

That's good to know - thanks.
It also came with a color matched, really ugly, bikini fairing - it's going to the dump! I guess someone fancied being a customizer.
The thumbnails are from the sale ad, I'll take some better pics and post them.

Wes Kootenay

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 12:27:33 pm »
Sitting here looking at fresh snow, Spring seems a long way off  :'(

I have the front brake caliper apart to free up the stuck pistons (got lucky here), flush the fluid and replace the pads.
Studying my new manual and making a list of stuff to check.

My wife has approved the blue color, so I'll keep it for now. New tank and side panel decals arrived this week, a new seat-cover is on the way.

Al.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 03:32:31 pm »
Might consider replacing the brake hoses with braided stainless steel lines.

J.

Wes Kootenay

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 10:23:15 am »
Might consider replacing the brake hoses with braided stainless steel lines.

J.

Good point - it's on the list, the hoses appear to be originals.
I don't want to open a 'can of worms' but, after over fifty years of riding, I find that I rarely use the rear brake.

Thanks.

Al

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 09:25:19 pm »
I've heard other riders say that about the rear brakes before.

I use both together or independently as required for whatever situation.

Grew up on a dirt/desert bike long before I ever road a street bike.

J.

triguyracer

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2017, 10:53:13 am »
Though I ride a FT ascot  Go for the stainless brake lines they make a great improvement in braking and brake feel they are not expensive I got some a while back for 36 dollars for the front line out of England with free shipping and they are good quality Heil lines probley a bit more now since its been a couple of years since I did mine  and new brake pads they are dirt cheap,also myself putting some race tech fork springs did wonders for the suspension on my bike and I did away with the junk air suspension ,dont know if the VT uses air forks but in 50 years of riding and racing I have not found any air forks that work worth a damn,hopfully the previous owner put springs in your bike and not just a sticker.Good luck on your project

Wes Kootenay

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 10:38:55 pm »
Thanks triguy.
I'm guessing you mean HEL Performance? I have contacted them in Calgary as I don't see the VT500FT listed on their site.
I will do a fork re-build, they need new seals anyway + 'inquiring minds need to know'. I'm hoping the springs have been upgraded, not just a 'sticker' job. I haven't had a chance to ride the bike much but the forks seem OK - just leaky!

Bought a new chainsaw today + busy rebuilding a neighbor's snow-blower. Bring on Spring!!

Bucko

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 10:26:45 pm »
I've heard other riders say that about the rear brakes before.

I use both together or independently as required for whatever situation.

Grew up on a dirt/desert bike long before I ever road a street bike.

J.

Me too.  I find the older I Get the more rear brake I use.  A reflection of significantly less aggressive riding I think.