Author Topic: Carb needle removal  (Read 7679 times)

FT500R

Carb needle removal
« on: February 07, 2018, 03:52:35 pm »
Hi all,

I tried to shim my carb needle today but it is stuck in the slider.
Is there a screw down there?

How do you remove the needle?

Regards,
Paul

triguyracer

Re: Carb needle removal
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 12:09:17 pm »
Yes,you need to remove the plastic stopper and there is a set screw and you can remove the needle ,when you shim it make sure your shim outside dia is not larger than the outside dia of the top of the needle where it sits on top of the slide or it will not drop down all the way into the slide causing a very rich condition,also do not over tighten the set screw,tighten just enough to touch and hold,a very thin shim will make a diff I used a 20 thou one in mine ,I have white brothers pipe with a suppertrapp end using two disks 180 main and one size larger on the pilot jet ,no air box and a uni foam filter ,pulls well all the way thru the rpm range no flat spots

FT500R

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 02:39:01 pm »
Thanks!

How do you remove the plastic stopper?
I've been trying to take it out with plyers but I'm afraid I'll damage it.

Regards,
Paul

triguyracer

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 09:35:02 pm »
I used a razor blade  where the plastic piece meets the metal work the razor blade between the two and twist work your way around it and gently twist and pry apart a little at a time,when it comes up a little from the metal you will be able grab it with pliers or needle nose pliers and pull out

FT500R

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 07:19:59 am »
Thanks so much for the tips!
Was able to gently pry the plastic piece of with a knife and then got the needle out!