Author Topic: Starter remains enganged after start - custom wiring circuit - HELP please  (Read 11702 times)

Michael Back

Good day everyone...

I am about to finish my scrambler edition of the FT500. I have made a very simple wiring harness - reference is made to the attached photos.
I have kept the CDI unit because I had to - but I skipped the "Starter control unit" and here comes the trouble; I connected the two Solenoid wires from the starter engangement arrangement to the main starter relay Circuit. In other words - when the main starter relay enganges, the starter gets power at the same time as the starter gear engagement solenoid gear. This works and the engine fires right up.
Problem is that the solenoid engangement gear ramains enganged for approximately 5 seconds - and this sound is killing me. I fear that it was a mistake to leave out the "Starter control unit" in case it does something special other than connecting and disconnecting the Solenoid cirquit.

Question: Does anyone have an idea whether the "Starter control unit" has a special function that ensures quick disengangement of the starter gear, once the starter button is released ?
What could be the reason that the starter gear remains enganged after the button is released ? As far as I remember - that was not the case before I started the build.

Really hope that someone can help. In case some of you knows someone in the forum that I could contact seperately, that would be able to assist - please let me know.

Thanks in advance !

Michael Back - Copenhagen, Denmark
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 04:25:28 am by Michael Back »

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Try the  Yahoo Ascot FT500 Enthusiasts Group: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/honda-ascot/info

Sign up & look into the Files section. The owner of that group is real sharp on electrical, etc.

Good luck
J.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
Michael, I suspect the starter motor is acting as a generator as it coasts to a stop, preventing the gear engagement solenoid from releasing. If this is the case, inserting a diode in the engagement solenoid wire should fix it.
As far as the starter control unit, my best guess is that it delays the operation of the engagement solenoid until the starter gear has had time to shift out on the Bendix as the starter spins up to speed? 

Michael Back

Dear Scottly.

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

Your explanation sounds right and it´s worth a try. I remember sitting for a long time looking at a diode in the original wire harness - wondering what the purpose could be - while ripping it a part.

I´m going to try this out and get back to you.

Just to get it clear; the Diode are to be inserted on the + side of the Solenoid circuit, right ?

All the best.

Michael.

Michael Back

Just an idea @ Scottly:

Would it be an idea to let the Solenoid Circuit be minus(-) switched instead ? Then when the starter (-) button is released, the circuit is broken and even though the starter motor generates voltage, it will not keep the solenoid enganged, since there is no minus.... ??

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
I've studied the wiring diagram a bit more, and the "starter control unit" is a safety device that only allows the starter to engage when the bike is in neutral, or the clutch is pulled in. The diode mounted in the stock handlebar  fuse holder serves to prevent the neutral indicator light from coming on when the clutch lever is pulled in.
Perhaps it would help if you posted a sketch of how you have the starter circuit wired?

Michael Back

Hi Scottly.

Thanks for your reply - I appreciate your assistance in this matter.

I have attached a scetch of how I have wired the starter circuit.

All the best.

Michael Back.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
Move the wire that energizes the engagement solenoid from the big post on the main starter solenoid to the small wire that energizes the main starter solenoid.

Michael Back

Brilliant idea ! Why havent I thought of that !?

Thanks a lot for your assistance - good to get some extra eyes on it ,0)

All the best.

Michael.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
Be sure to let us know how it works; I still don't know what the "starter solenoid relay" is supposed to do.

Michael Back

Boom ! Problem solved - the starter Solenoid releases once I let go of the starter button.

Thanks a lot for your help.  :)