Second Generation Ascots > Tech Section

Possible overheating issues

(1/3) > >>

osharke:
Hello fellow Ascot owners. I need some advice. My 84 seems to be running hotter then normal and I was wondering if other owners are having this issue:

After riding for 20 minutes the engine is very hot and I can easily feel heat radiating around my legs and torso. Heat also radiates underneath the gas tank which probably is just because the engine is hot. It takes a few hours after the bike is off for the bike to finally cool.

Other items worth mentioning
- Radiator fan does function but just doesn’t cool the v-twins in a timely manner.
- Coolant levels look good. Replaced last year.
- Overflow does what it should and as needed releases excess fluid.
- Radiator fluid is at the top - when removed (yes when cool) fluid remains at the top level.
- Temperature gauge no longer functions so I’m unable via the gauge to monitor the temperature.
- Recent oil change had no effect.
- Radiator grill has been cleaned, no obstructions.

Perhaps the high temperature is just normal as I’m riding more then I usually have but the heat does seem excessive so I wanted to get the forums opinion. The bike runs strong however my fear is that if she runs this hot a more severe issue could develop. Hopefully it’s not the water pump as that is beyond my technical ability.

Please share your ideas. Tu.

J6G1Z:
Might consider repairing the temperature gauge, or adding another.

https://www.trailtech.net

https://www.trailtech.net/tto-1

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=Laser+Thermometer

J.

osharke:
Thanks for the info. However what I’m looking for is some sage advice on if this overheating issue has occurred on your bikes and what was the resolution? The temp gauge is a minor issue (for now) .. the heating of the engine is paramount. I have parts for the temp gauge already including the temp sensor switch but I know that’s not it as the bike will still overheat. I just don't want to ride her anymore till I get this resolved.

Just wondering if/when your bikes have overheated and your cylinder head is a hot as Kilauea what did you do to diagnose the issue?  Lets say the Water Pump goes out? What about a failure in the oil pump? Maybe the thermostat is not closing? How do you know? These is what I'm trying to have answered. Hopefully its not those key parts, but I just need some more info so I can try to pinpoint the issue.

Please let me know your overheating delimma stories please and your outcome. I would appreciate any/all input to my request.

J6G1Z:

--- Quote from: osharke on June 05, 2018, 09:09:26 am ---Thanks for the info. However what I’m looking for is some saged advice on if this ovenheating issue has occurred on your bikes and what was the resolution. The temp gauge is a minor issue .. the heating of the engine is paramount. I have parts for the temp gauge already but I know that’s not it as the bike will still overheat.

Please let me know your overheating delimas stories please and your outcome.

--- End quote ---

Exactly how hot is the engine coolant temperature?

J.

osharke:
Thanks J6G1Z for the reply and your interest. Unfortunately I don't have the infrared/thermal device to provide you with those details (yet). All I can say is that the upper cylinder heads (engine itself) are really hot and I don't feel that is normal.

As for testing the coolant temperature, god help me. I would assume you could check this at the overflow bottle but that may be problematic as I'm sure its way hot. Certainty I will never remove the radiator cap when she is boiling mad.

My apologies, I'm just not that good of a mechanic. I'm very good at the basics but when it comes down to motorcycle coolant systems I'm such a novice. I'm trying to locate a good mechanic (Denver) but its becoming difficult for anybody to want to work on these classic bikes. I have the service manuals and the like, but somethings are just outside of my comfort range. I've learned a lot and I believe that is a prerequisite if you want to keep these classic bikes on the road.

Thanks again for providing the guidance you have thus far.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version