Author Topic: Blowing a 15 amp fuse on the starter relay  (Read 8628 times)

No Wants No Warrants

Blowing a 15 amp fuse on the starter relay
« on: July 15, 2018, 09:16:44 pm »
I am a new Thumper owner. I recently got hold of a bike not running, cleaned the carb and away we went (for 10 seconds). It appears that when I plug in the connector for the neutral safety switch and turn on the ignition my ignition fuse starts to smoke and melt. Then within A few seconds the relay fuse blows.  I checked continuity of switch. Seems normal readings. It’s just a switch.  I also found that I have 12 volts on the starter solenoid (the one that throws the bendix) when theignition switch is off. Battery goes dead in about 10 minutes when everything is plugged in and ignition switch is off.

Any ideas. I went through about 5 fuses to get this far.  I know, terrible troubleshooting.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
Re: Blowing a 15 amp fuse on the starter relay
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 09:58:29 pm »
FT or VT?

J.

No Wants No Warrants

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 10:01:24 pm »
ft

No Wants No Warrants

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 05:08:27 pm »
Make sure whenever you are removing connectors that you pay close attention to where they go.  Might even suggest marking them if you are removing several at a time.
Black does not necessarily go with black or white with white and the connectors are interchangeable.
I ended up putting the connectors back in the wrong plugs assuming that a black female would match up to a black male etc.
We learn humility in so many different ways.

I felt pretty stupid, but now I know and so do you.

Having great fun with this little Thumper.  Finally got it running and now I cant wait to really test it.

Yahoo!!

NWNW

murdo

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 04:26:52 am »
Good work on sorting that.