Author Topic: What Have You Done With Your Ascot Lately?  (Read 33970 times)

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
What Have You Done With Your Ascot Lately?
« on: September 28, 2013, 11:25:35 am »
Have you gone on any epic adventures, or even just a short ride around the block?

Have you performed any new performance or appearance modifications?

How about just a regular maintenance task & a new or easier way to accomplish the task?

Any other tips?

Let's hear about it.

Thank you
J.

thumperdh

Re: What Have You Done With Your Ascot Lately?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 10:17:53 pm »
I went on a little ride a few weeks ago when it was still dry

We went from Yeehaw Junction down to Lake Okeechobee
1982 FT500
Conti Classic Attack tires
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:01:18 pm »
Great looking bike & nice pics! 8)

I went for a short ride yesterday myself. Usually the riding season is done by now, but the winds have come up & driven out the clouds & rain. The pavement was dry, so I took my trusty Ascot out for a little spin on my favorite set of twisties. Unfortunately there were a lot of dead leaves on the street that had been run over many times & made a slick spot like a bunch of banana peals. I had to throttle myself back a bit on some of my favorite turns due to the slippery leaves. Other than that & being a bit on the cold side, it was a great ride. Any time that the pavement is dry during the next 6 months or so will be rare & I plan to take advantage of it every chance I get.

J.

DrCNC

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 08:05:31 pm »
I went on a little ride a few weeks ago when it was still dry

We went from Yeehaw Junction down to Lake Okeechobee

Wow your right around the corner I live in Palm Bay just bought my Ascot  Did some of that stretch when we went to Sebring couple months ago but that was on the 9

thumperdh

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 11:07:13 pm »
Wow your right around the corner I live in Palm Bay just bought my Ascot  Did some of that stretch when we went to Sebring couple months ago but that was on the 9

Nice, i bought my Ascot from a guy in Palm Bay.
1982 FT500
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 10:39:44 am »
The weather has been real cold but dry, so I've been able to go for a few rides over the last 2-3 weeks. Have to take it easy & be on the constant look out for ice though as the temps have been in the 20's & 30's.

I haven't accomplished much in the Shop on my FT/CBR hybrid. I've been waiting for the wheels to return from the powder coaters & then I need to scrounge up enough money for new tires & mounting. Kind of hard to scrounge up any cash during this time of year with Christmas right around the corner. Sure wish Santa still stopped by my house with surprise gifts. LOL!

How about the rest of you all? Been on any cool rides, or made any progress on your projects?

J.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 10:18:41 pm »
I got my FT titled, registered, and insured today!  8) 8) Time to see if the butt dyno matches the real dyno. ;D

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 12:21:12 pm »
I got my FT titled, registered, and insured today!  8) 8) Time to see if the butt dyno matches the real dyno. ;D 

Titled, registered & insured.... Do you have any money left to fill up the tank?  ;)

Enjoy that test ride & please let us know the results.

J.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 01:08:34 am »
It wasn't bad: $65 to transfer the CA title to AZ, and 2 years registration, $30 of which went for the "convenience fee" charged by the service I used. I would gladly pay $30 to avoid a trip to the MVD!!! ;D ;D
Rode the bike for about 20 miles, half on road and half off road. It will accelerate briskly from a stop to 65 MPH, and pull smoothly from as low as 2K RPM without a hiccup or fart. So far, I'm very pleased! :D

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 01:09:34 pm »
Ah yes... Arizona has some fairly reasonable DMV fee's for older vehicles. What part of Az are you located in? Send me a PM if you don't want to answer publicly. I grew up in the hottest corner of the State near the Az, Ca, Nv, border.

A trip to the DMV to title & register a bike where I live now, costs in the $200 range. ::) >:(

J.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 09:45:28 pm »
I'm in Humboldt, near Prescott. About 4500' elevation, so cooler than Phoenix. Hit 97 today, but it was supposed to hit 111 down there.

thumperdh

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 09:58:46 pm »
I rode my FT to go pick up new chains and sprockets for my KE100. I also considered ordering new Hagon shocks for my upcoming mountain trip (a week riding the mountains of Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee will be a nice getaway from Florida).
1982 FT500
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 10:39:47 pm »
I'm in Humboldt, near Prescott. About 4500' elevation, so cooler than Phoenix. Hit 97 today, but it was supposed to hit 111 down there.

I have not been to your area yet, but I have been around Prescott & Chino Valley a few times. It's very nice out there! Finding a good paying job out there looks tough though.

J.

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 10:43:03 pm »
I rode my FT to go pick up new chains and sprockets for my KE100. I also considered ordering new Hagon shocks for my upcoming mountain trip (a week riding the mountains of Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee will be a nice getaway from Florida).

That will be a real nice trip. If you can afford it, I'd get those shocks. I doubt that you will ever regret it.

Good luck on your trip
J.

scottly

• Humboldt, AZ USA
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 09:32:49 pm »
I took my bike for an 82 mile ride yesterday. About 30 miles on dirt roads, and the rest on pavement. Most of the miles were at 45 MPH or lower, with about 10 miles at 60 and 10 miles at 65-70. Filled the tank back up today to check the mileage: 58 MPG. ;D

thumperdh

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 10:53:57 pm »
Well, with gas getting more expensive and after trading in my little Jetta for a big Silverado Crew Cab coupled with me having a 54mi roundtrip commute each day has led me to equip my FT for some commuter work. I've put my windshield back on, wired in a 12v cigarette lighter plug and upgraded to a 17t front sprocket.

I have to say, 17t countershaft is way better than the 16t countershaft. I wouldn't even bother with the 16t unless you do a lot of super spirited mountain riding. I can now cruise at 65mph at just around 4k in fifth gear.  :)

Edit: Filled up the tank tonight. 54.x miles driven .909 gal of gas. 59MPG mostly highway. My last three fillups have been

1. 65mi/1.2gal=54.1mpg
2. 65mi/1.0gal=65mpg
3. 54mi/.909gal=59.4mpg

184mi ridden/3.109gal=59.1mpg
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 01:22:55 am by thumperdh »
1982 FT500
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 11:21:55 am »
Hey there thumperdh,

Did that 17 tooth countershaft sprocket fit without any clearancing? I just had someone tell me that they ordered one, but it wouldn't fit, so they exchanged it for a 16 tooth sprocket. I'm running a 16 & like it, but I'm mostly back road riding.

Thanks
J.

thumperdh

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 12:15:43 pm »
I followed the guide I found on the yahoo group. Had to dremel down one of the bolts below the sprocket. I think it would be impossible without doing this, and even with it ground down tolerances are tight. It took me two passes to get it right.

The 16t is perfect for back roads but the 17 really shines on the super slab. 
1982 FT500
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

J6G1Z

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 12:56:58 pm »
That's what it was. A bolt that needed clearancing. I read that "File" a long time ago & couldn't recall what the clearancing issue was. I've been having problems opening some of the "Files" lately, including that one.

Thanks
J.

thumperdh

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2014, 02:19:14 pm »
I have a lot of them saved on my computer. I'll add some of them up later tonight.
1982 FT500
Foam filter mod
Round headlight
Rejetted carb
Progressive springs
Supertrapp muffler
Thumperstuff header

murdo

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2021, 04:32:03 am »
While we have been in lockdown (lockup?) here in Aus with the Covid virus around and unable to go outside of town I got in and did some repainting on my FT. I had finally (after twelve years of ownership) found a rear seat cowl that wasn't broken and decided to repaint it, the front guard and bikini fairing. The tank I did with 2 pak clear over the original paint and the sidecovers had been replaced recently with NOS. I haven't painted the frame as it is still original and like me has a few scares but still works OK.

Luke

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2022, 03:39:35 am »
Looking good! Hope your lock down was as painless as possible. Cheers
1984 VT500FT - WIP

murdo

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2022, 04:00:26 am »
Thanks Luke. The lockdowns are over and no masks required any more so happy days out on the road.